TECHNET Archives

January 2003

From:
"Morse, Carrie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 17:01:57 -0500
Also, nothing specific about Koki, but, getting back to the basics
of BGA voiding and solder paste selection (whether lead-free or not) --
Some solder paste formulations provide for more voiding in a BGA
than others.  In a few previous lives (which weren't so bad), I ran solder
paste evaluations on good old regular Sn63Pb37 using a test vehicle with
BGA's.  Although we were able to reduce BGA voiding by optimizing the
profile on most of the samples, some exhibited more voiding than others.

Some companies (this is not a sales pitch), such as Kester, have
developed solder pastes to help minimize voiding in BGA's.  Some have
been more successful than others.  Aim, Indium, and Alpha also have
pastes that perform well for BGA's.

I have been most successful in minimizing BGA voids by following the
manufacturer's recommended profile AND... keeping the profile at the
BGA toward the longer, hotter end of the profile spec.

I will also say that I once worked with a solder paste company that helped
us with resolving one problem (slump), but, neglected to share with us the
fact that BGA voids were inevitable with their flux solution.  That paste
printed so beautifully.  The release from the screen was unbelievable.  The
paste brick held it's form for hours...even under 80F/80%RH conditions.
Unfortunately...we had Voids :-(

One last thought and that is...is it possible that the BGA's eutectic balls are
getting toooooo hot and not out gassing properly (boiling?) while trying to get the Lead-free
paste to reflow properly?  We haven't started experimenting with Lead-free yet,
so I'm wondering what the Lead-Free Gurus (if there are any yet) think about that
theory?

-Carrie