TECHNET Archives

December 2002

Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 08:41:25 -0700
Alejandro,

        I'm with Russell on this one, about two years ago I also had similar
problems with the plastic film caps from Panasonic, ECHU family. I was able
to contact Panasonic Japan and get samples of the improved "X" version, it
actually help diminish the problem, but it did not  go away completely. Two
things causing this as I understand are: one, the component does not heat
evenly because of the polymer, and second  the component layers tend to
flake off letting the dielectric out contaminating the terminations. I would
work with the supplier to determine the root cause, but knowing this issue I
bet is a component related problem. We recently had a similar issues with
plastics caps from a particular manufacturer, we took them off the AVL list,
and the problems went away. You said you're having tombstoning on 1206,
that's is not very likely to happen because of the pad design; the two times
that I've been involved with this issue it was across different part numbers
and different component sizes.

Good Luck

Jorge Rodriguez
Process Engineer