TECHNET Archives

December 2002

Date:
Wed, 25 Dec 2002 10:28:39 -0800
Hi! can someone help,
we are doing flexible PCB with the Nickel/Gold
finishing,we facing the gold peeling from gold to
nickel peeling problem recently on certain plating
panels
Normally, we use plating rack for gold plating,
every loading is 4 panels. The gold peeling pattern
is total 4 panels per same loading will have gold
peeling,some loading don't found any gold peeling.
Is this mean the plating rack have problem?

1] In term of chemistry, what kind of situation the
 specific chemical can cause this problem?

2]In term of nickel passivation; what should be the
 possible cause? How to identify the root cause of
 nickel passivation? Is it only happen on cartain
 period during different panel loading?

3]Why only certain loading have the gold peeling
 problem & others do not?

4]If water rinse is the main cause of nickel
 passivation? What is the deionize water quality
 requirement? How far is the flow rate affected the
 nickel passivation?

5]Whether the plating current cause the gold
 peeling from nickel? How this heppen?

6]May this cause by the gold plating bath
 chemistry? If the chemical parameter within spec.;
 what else can cause the problem?

 Please help on this. Thank you.

 Regards,
 Dev