TECHNET Archives

December 2002

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:47:41 -0600
Hi Alejandro! Take a look back in the TechNet archives - there was a good
discussion on the pros/cons of Sn62 versus Sn63 solderpaste in terms of
tombstoning a number of weeks ago. Don't discount a pad geometry or
solderability problem as Phil or Daan suggested. We recently completed a
tombstoning investigation in which an 0805 resistor was giving us fits. The
component fabricator believed we had a problem in our reflow profile but
when an alternative component fabricator's capacitor was used the
tombstoning was eliminated. Both component fabricator's were supplying the
same 0805 cap - same dimensions, same termination finish, etc. - but it
turned out that the tombstoning capacitor had enough oxidation of the
termination finish to upset the wetting characteristics during reflow.
Solderability tests did not identify the problem - we had to use Auger
analysis. Good Luck. Time to get a breakfast Coke!

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Becerra Alejandro <[log in to unmask]>@ipc.org> on 12/02/2002 07:23:52 PM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond
       to Becerra Alejandro <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:    TechNet <[log in to unmask]>