TECHNET Archives

December 2002

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:21:07 -0000
I'm not sure I followed all this exactly, but in a former incarnation worked
on problems which sounds familiar or at least relevant. Used to do intricate
routing and sometimes correction on softstrates like FR4 with laser
profilers.
This route would involve finding someone who could really drive a laser - to
get a good edge. You would also need deep pockets. Lasering is relatively
slow (for cutting not scoring) and boards can only be processed one high.
For example, our standard [show off] question on being asked to rework
too-shallow v scoring: "do you want to drawing in which case you will get an
extra cut, or you can tell us where in the actual V you would like it, most
people go for the bottom, but you can have in the side of your choice." This
was because a laser beam has very little dimension and x-y table/control was
very precise with good vision.

Regards

Mike