TECHNET Archives

December 2002

Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:40:13 -0500
Some of the space application is very benign from environmental point of
view regarding conformal coat, particularly, if it is used in the
cabinet (almost as good as vacuum chamber).  Outgas would be a key
issue.  However, if it is used externally, that is another story.  Can't
see circuit board being exposed to the external space environment.
Solar cell is another matter... They got special coating on them for
that reason (atomic oxygen, proton damage, etc.etc.)....Regarding
electronic assembly, temperature extream more of a concern than
conformal coat usually.
As for non-condensing, if you go to south Asia, you got water beeds
(with contamination) on the table during the Monsoon season, you will
need better coating than you used for north america product (few of
coating with hydrophobic surface treatment do not work well in that
environment.  Change of surface tension occurred upon contaminating the
surface).  You MUST understand what are you try to protect againest
before you change your conformal coat.
By the way, I do like urethane coating very much, if you can get them
coat under the module leads ;-).
My 2 cents.
                                                        jk

http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact
Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315