TECHNET Archives

December 2002

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:00:35 -0500
I have been thinking about your reply and the article from Peter Duncan
sent me an article promoting a combination of heat and vacuum as a
method for drying components. I am still having trouble accepting the
notion that the relationship between the boiling point of water and
pressure are not significant in the "popcorn effect".

Can we make popcorn (real popcorn) at reduced temperature and higher
elevation. A qualified Yes, because the water boils at a lower
temperature. But no if the water is driven off before the corn cooks
enough to become "popcorn". Can we bake a cake at higher elevation. No,
because water boils out of the mixture at a temperature too low to allow
cooking to take place (chemical changes to the proteins and sugars in
the mixture).

What about making popcorn under increased pressure. Sorry, in a
submarine popcorn is a problem. When the boiling point of water is too
high the corn burns before the water turns to steam.

Ahhhh. Here is a novel idea. Reflow under increased pressure. If the
water in the package cannot turn quickly to vapor, it cannot damage the
components. Is there a patent here?

The problem I see is that nobody has qualified the low pressure
processes. I think it is a promising solution, the trouble is we haven't
established the relationship between temperature and pressure to safely
dry the package.