TECHNET Archives

December 2002

Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:56:09 +0800
Joe,

Sounds to me like you have BGA's that have warped during the reflow process
- probably due to excessive moisture content. Either that or your PCB is
warped. Do you monitor and control moisture exposure levels for you
components, or do you bake them out prior to mounting?

Two other factors that I've experienced, and which may contribute to your
problem, are those of solder ball diameter & "form", and of solder paste
deposition height/volume. I have had BGA's where the unmounted volume and
shape of the balls have varied dramatically - I even had one once that had
a bond wire included in a ball. Solder volume in the finished joints should
vary only very marginally, or the joint characteristics become to disparate
to be reliable long-term. However, solder joint volume, unless you have
gross variance, should not really give you a variation in stand-off height
unless the surfaces that you're measuring between are not flat. Back to my
initial diagnosis. Do your solder joints vary from long and thin to short
and fat?

Peter

"Macko, Joe @ IEC" <Joe.Macko 10/12/2002 06:57 AM
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>