TECHNET Archives

November 2002

From:
Bill Wesmoreland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:31:08 -0600
Jean-François,

There are a lot of things that you should consider when determining whether
or not to do these repairs.  The IPC-7721 has the procedures to do these
repairs if you have the properly trained personnel and the right equipment.
Once the repair is done well, it will be as good as new in most cases or in
some cases, the bond that the pad has to the PCB is actually stronger.

Look at the costs to either do the repair in house (trained people,
equipment and supplies), get a quote from a company who can do it for you,
which we and others can, and then look at the burdened cost of building
another assembly to replace it.  If your figures show that it is cost
feasible, fix it, if not, scrap it.

You should note that when it comes to reliability of these types of repairs,
I did these in the military, I now do them for manufacturer's of military
equipment, medical equipment and other high-reliability systems, so the
potential risks of field failures are no worse than the original unit for
the most part.  Always keep in mind, the unit that works the best is the one
we don't have to touch after it's built.

If you would like, call us and we may be able to assist you in your decision
or go to our website to find out more. www.solder.net

Bill Westmoreland
President, BEST, Inc.
Phone   (847) 797-9250