TECHNET Archives

November 2002

From:
Dave Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:46:13 -0600
Hi Gaby! The Achilles heel of all tin finishes - immersion tin included -
has been its thermal degradation characteristics. Thermal excursions cause
two degradation mechanisms: 1) the growth of surface oxidation - as the SnO
oxide transforms to SnO2 oxide the solderability goes downhill very fast;
2) the growth of copper/tin intermetallic phases - if the copper/tin
intermetallic phases (especially the Cu3Sn phase but also the Cu6Sn5 phase)
reach the surface and become oxidized then the solderability goes to zero.
Remember - the more active the flux system you use the less impact both
these mechanism have in your production process.  What differentiates the
various available immersion tin chemistries from each other is how each of
the individual chemistry suppliers formulates their immersion tin bath to
account for these two degradation mechanisms.  I agree with you on
procurement - if you need an immersion tin finish which will withstand
multiple thermal excursions then you should expect to pay more and have
fewer potential chemistry supplier choices. If you only need one thermal
excursion pass then more immersion tin possibilities exist. The needs of
the process should be matched to the characteristics of the surface finish
- and both the pwb fabricator and pwb user need to work together to meet
those goals. Enough said - I'm off to find a Diet Coke for supper!

Dave

Gaby Bogdan <[log in to unmask]> on 11/25/2002 06:19:51 PM