TECHNET Archives

November 2002

From:
Steve kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:11:05 -0500
We build the raw boards and assemble the same - all have immersion tin
but we have the following rules: 1) in our opinion immersion tin is good
for one thermal pass - solderability is not good for two passes 2) our
parts see as few heat cycles as possible before assembly ( we even
silkscreen the nomenclature before tin)
There should be no solderability issue on the tin versus tin lead - if
there is then the tin is contaminated or is heavily oxidized. To test
for the oxidation clean a few pads with a clean pencil eraser - tin
should be smooth and white in appearance - then try soldering.

Good Luck.
Steve Kelly

PFC Flexible Circuits Limited