TECHNET Archives

November 2002

From:
Peter Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:17:37 -0000
Mark,

Thanks for the comments on the SMART Group PPM Monitoring web site. The data
collection is in line with IPC standards but we do not currently do all that
the IPC requires; it's better to slowly introduce the methods in a multi
company project. Too much too soon would not work. We will be moving on to
defect types and then components affected by the defect at each stage of the
manufacturing processes.

We would like to incorporate a list of defect categories for each of the
four process stages that are in line with IPC standards or members'
requirements. If you have an updated list of these then please e-mail them
to us for reference.

We do refer to the defect as "PPM" rather than "DPMO". This is for
historical reasons as Europe and the Far East have used this terminology for
many years prior to the creation of the terms used in the IPC data
collection documents. However, defects are counted consistently with
IPC-7912 (i.e. "even though a component may have more than one component
defect; any one or combination of multiple component defects on any single
component will have a maximum defect count of one for that component").
Rumour has it that the latest IEC document is inconsistent with this
approach.

We are aware that IPC-7912/IPC-9261 does not cover screen printing, but our
members wanted to cover and develop this area as well as intrusive pin in
paste reflow assembly. This required us to produce reference standards for
each, which have been passed to IPC via Jack Crawford (perhaps they will be
considered in the next updates to IPC 610, J-STD-001 et al).

We are more than happy to get more companies involved in the PPM or DPMO
data collection activity and share these results with the industry. We have
been sending all the material to Jack to pass on to the relevant committees
for comments etc and will of course continue to do so. This is a SMART Group
indicative but we would ideally like to see this as an industry project that
the industry value as a reference www.ppm-monitoring.com

Look forward to any feedback.
Regards,
Peter

P.S. Sorry for the delay in replying!
--
Peter Swanson                                      Oxfordshire, England