TECHNET Archives

November 2002

From:
Ahne Oosterhof <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:38:42 -0800
Not a bad idea, but before I would write to members of congress I would want
a concise set of arguments and extensive references to back them up.
Who wants to gather/provide them?

========
1. Use of lead in circuit boards as percentage of total lead usage (why ban
the low usage first).
2. Soldering temperature is higher, therefore lower reliability of
assemblies is lower, as some parts (electronic and mechanical) cannot handle
higher temperatures well.
3. What about quality of the joints (intermetalics)?
Lead/tin alloy (68/32) is a eutectic, no plastic state when melting or
cooling yielding a mechanically sound joint. (How close are alternatives to
being eutectic?)
4. Lead is reclaimable / recyclable, alternatives may not be.
5. Are lead alternatives poisonous? (Need for labeling?)
6. How to ingest solder from circuit boards? (Lead is poisonous when
ingested.) Any incidents?
7. Lead can get into the soil via poorly constructed landfills. (But can it
be ingested after that? Somebody mentioned a study in Aspen.)

(randomly listed)

Fun? Necessary?

Ahne.