TECHNET Archives

November 2002

From:
Rudy Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 18:21:24 EST
I have tried to remain out of this controversey, because I do not deal well
with politics, and other areas where reality has no effect on actions,
however, this is a perfect opportunity to tell an important story.

Some many years ago, the New Yorker magazine ran one of their usual very
thorough articles on lead contamination in a very large part of Aspen
Colorado.  Apparently there were some mine tailings which were loaded with
lead covering a large percent of the town, and the EPA tried to have much of
the town declared a Superfund site, and have it made illegal to occupy the
site.

The locals got a court ruling to delay the EPA, and initiated a study,
wherein they took some of the contaminated soil, and ground it up, and mixed
it with rabbit feed, and fed it to a group of rabbits.  They fed the same
feed, clean, to another group of rabbits.  After a year they sacricificed the
rabbits, and analyzed their body parts for Lead.

To the astonishment of all parties, the "lead-fed" group had no more lead in
their bodies than the non-lead-fed group.....
The issue here is "Bio-availabilty"  The rabbits excreted all the lead they
ate.
Seems soil ties up lead, and renders it unavailable biologically...
Not that this would have ANY bearing on the toxicity of the computer I junked
last year....

Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical Company