TECHNET Archives

November 2002

From:
David Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 08:39:24 -0700
George,

Good luck!!

This is a very serious complicated issue and as such the answer is always "it depends".
I will touch on some of the more interesting points.

At first glance the question seems to raise a paradox. Coating over no-clean
means there are some environmental concerns but
there are no infant mortality concerns with the manufacturing process.
This is "backwards" to standard reliability design logic.

Your first task is to define what is meant by "reliability". This term will vary
from case to case. Once defined then it becomes necessary to develop a method to measure it.
Because you are dealing with a 20 year period "wear-out" mechanisms become an issue.
Virtually all forms of testing concern themselves with infant mortality warranty failure modes.
They are typically stimulation type testing and can not be correlated to "long term" wear out failure modes.
Thus coupon testing and most chamber testing will not be of value.

At this point someone usually realizes they will not be around in 5 years let alone 20 and
signs off on the verification process because it won't be his or her problem!

If you really want answers you must clearly define all the terms used in the contract and develop
simulation type testing based on the expected worst case operating conditions and run proto-type/production
units through these tests (big bucks & very time consuming).

The other choices include;
1. go by a good book and read it (you won't be around for 20 years)
2. scrap the current process and use paralyne with a different cleanable flux process
3. beat your head against management trying to get the correct testing done (this results in becoming another
"consultant"!)

So George, just how close to retirement are you?

David A. Douthit
Manager
LoCan LLC