TECHNET Archives

November 2002

From:
"Jason W. Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:26:22 -0600

Good topic - I think we might get a reprimand from Jack, though for off-topic
posts! :)

I, too, am fascinated by this topic. I find it hard to believe that lead-free is
so important to certain countries when there are so many other toxic materials
floating in our atmosphere. I mean if my grandma throws her walkman away, does
that really mean as much when millions of trucking companies, railroad
companies, refineries, etc, etc are polluting so much more. I reflect back to
when I was living in Houston and they implemented emissions testing. There are
only three counties in Texas that incorporate these tests (although they are the
heaviest populated)--Harris (Houston), Bexar (San Antonio) and Tarrant (Dallas).
However, trucking cos. are fairly unregulated. As far as locomotives and
refineries, there is so much that is not done. Even recently, a few years ago
the speed limit was raised to 70 on most Texas highways. In Houston, a city
ordinance was passed to lower the limit back to 55. The theory was that the
extra 15 mph was causing too much pollution. I know for a fact that most modern
cars actually run more efficient at higher speeds and produce less emissions.
This has been discussed in the Houston city legislature and the limit has now
been increased back to 70 (However, now the dummies who can't drive right will
cause death from accidents, but not emissions). As far as smoking goes, the
taxes from sales of tobacco are so lucrative to the economy that our children
will always have the cancer available to them. No matter how much data proves
their dangers.

Jason Gregory
Production Supervisor
LaBarge Inc.
(918)459-2367

Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]> on 11/15/2002 03:00:34 PM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to