TECHNET Archives

November 2002

From:
"Hogg, Blair K." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:26:53 -0500
Hi Randy,

We have a Dock-to-Stock program here as part of a larger supplier management
program. The supplier management program includes supplier qualification,
certification, and dock-to stock for particular items. The program basically
works as such:

1. Suppliers are qualified through a defined evaluation process. Examples of
data include D&B reports, current customer lists, etc. Suppliers of custom
materials may be evaluated by a site visit. A supplier evaluation team is
set up to handle this, including purchasing, quality, engineering and anyone
else that is deemed necessary.

2. Suppliers are periodically evaluated for performance to certain metrics -
quality (lots accepted/lots rejected), corrective action response, on-time
delivery, responsiveness, invoice accuracy. Failure to respond to a
corrective action request drops the quality score by 10 points. Suppliers
that have met a 98% quality rating, a 95% on-time delivery, error-free
invoices, have good responsiveness and have had a minimum of 15 lots
delivered in the past 6 months are considered for certification.

3. Certified suppliers can become dock-to-stock for a particular item if
they have submitted 6 separate shipments of that item in a 6 month period
with no defects.

Dock-to-stock status can be removed due to floor rejects or loss of
certification. Loss of certification happens if the quality rating falls
below 95%, the delivery rating falls below 90%, etc.

Certified and Dock-to-Stock suppliers should be given priority for business
over non-certified suppliers even if the price is higher. This is always
difficult to get to work.

Hope this helps. Contact me off-line if you would like any more info.

Blair Hogg
QA Manager
GAI-Tronics Corporation