LEADFREE Archives

November 2002

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:29:06 EST
Hi Ron,
Thank you for your input. Not having access to the NEMI reports, I relied on
the assessment by Wayne Johnson of a 1997 NCMS report and some IBM data
reported at APEX 2001. Wayne came to a conclusion that does not match yours.
In order to understand the results you report, the 'Soak Mode' per JEDEC
JESD22-A104B used is essential. It is also essential that the results for
Conditions G and J be given separately; only that way can one get any idea
what the results mean in terms of actual product SJ reliability. Also, how
many samples were tested and what Weibull distributions did result is
important.
You may know that I was the chairman of the committee that wrote IPC-SM-785
and more recently IPC-9701. Neither one of these industry documents addresses
LF-solders diirectly. Perhaps, you could send me a copy of the NEMI report(s)
which I presume contain all the necessary test details.

Best regards,
Werner Engelmaier
Engelmaier Associates, L.C.
Electronic Packaging, Interconnection and Reliability Consulting
7 Jasmine Run
Ormond Beach, FL  32174  USA
Phone: 904-437-8747, Fax: 904-437-8737
E-mail: [log in to unmask], Website: www.engelmaier.com