TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Seth Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 03:24:02 -0500
You're right about the extra design effort improving reliability, so I'll
have to reconsider my long-held position.  Thanks for pointing this out.

The potential decreased reliability of holes with aspect ratio greater than
4 is downright scary, as I routinely use 10 mil vias in 0.062" boards.  I
can see where this could be the case for environments with wide and rapid
temperature swings, but do you think it could be a problem in benign
commercial environments as well?  The large number of boards out there with
6:1 aspect ratios suggests otherwise, but we often don't recognize a problem
until someone, well, shows it's a problem.  Please, don't tell me what I
don't want to hear, which is that all my boards out there may be time bombs.
Maybe I should switch professions before the fuses run out?

I'll try to post this to TechNet, though some of my messages have been
rejected as well.  Must be some server quirk.

Regards,

Seth Goodman

Goodman Associates, LLC
Verona, WI