TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Mel Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:39:26 -0600
Once upon a time-
We included a requirement that leads like those in DIP devices be trimmed
(when required) with tools or tooling that did not impart stress on the
component body.  I still have one of these .040 Shear cutters (not flush
cutters) specifically made for DIP leads. It's been a while since we
specifically addressed the possibility of component damage, but it was an
issue at the time and there is a significant amount of impact for the
component.  So for discussion purposes it might be prudent to consider.
While we are there, we also required coverage of the lead end once it was
cut since they were iron based and there are corrosion properties different
than copper to consider.

Mel Parrish