TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:21:40 +0200
Sorry, Edward, but that's not true. The only common solvents which are
controlled under the Protocol are carbon tetrachloride Annex B, Group
II), CFC-113 (Annex A, Group I), 1,1,1-trichloroethane (Annex B, Group
III) and various HCFCs (Annex C Group I). CBM may also be used as a
solvent and is controlled under Annex C Group III). Production and
import of the first three have been banned since 1 Jan 1996 in developed
nations, but developing countries, defined under Article 5 (1) of the
Protocol, can continue manufacturing and importing them with specified
reductions until the end of 2009. HCFCs may be used in developed
countries with severe restrictions until 2030 {2040 in Art 5(1)
countries). CBM is phased out in all countries as from 1 Jan 2002.

Methylene chloride (BTW, synonymous with DCM, not a different solvent),
trichloroethylene (TCE) and perchloroethylene (PCE) are NOT controlled
under the Protocol and can be freely used anywhere, subject to national
regulations. So can any other halogenated solvents that I have not
specifically mentioned above, although n-propyl bromide (nPB) is under
scrutiny by the Parties to the Protocol for possible inclusion as a
controlled substance. The decision on this can be made only after new
modelling has been developed, because it is more the atmospheric
decomposition products, rather than the substance itself, which are
likely to affect the ozone layer. The Scientific Assessment Panel is
busy working on this problem!

Brian