TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:16:02 +0200
Ryan

In the village where I used to live in Switzerland (3500 inhabitants),
there were half-a-dozen collection centres scattered in strategic places
round the village. These each had bins for:
- white glass
- green glass
- brown glass
- paper/cardboard
- mineral oils and greases
- vegetable oils and greases (your kitchen grease)
- aluminium
- iron/steel cans
- PET bottles
- small batteries
These were emptied weekly.
In addition there were:
- a central location where old paint, household/garden chemicals, car
batteries and other dangerous chemicals could be taken
- an off-central location where garden waste could be taken for composting
- twice-weekly collection of ordinary household rubbish
- trimestrial collection of large objects (furniture, bicycles etc.)
- trimestrial collection of household appliances (fridges had to have a
vignette, costing CHF 75 ($50), for gas recovery)

How did this work? Wherever possible, recovered materials were sold to
recyclers or, if not, were given. The real plus side is that the volume
of household waste for refuse collection was cut down to about 1/3. The
revenue, combined with the savings on household rubbish collection, made
it slightly profitable for the commune, even taking into account that
the weekly collection of recyclable material was quite labour intensive
(2 man-days/week) and the capital expenditure on special bins, crushers
and balers had to be written off over 5 years. And this was only for a
small village. I have photos of the recyclable collection centres, if
anyone is interested.

Brian