TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Geoff Layhe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:00:28 -0000
To use a TechNet quote
It Depends

The usual quoted heat rise is 6 - 8 degC per minute between 60 and 140 degC.
(11-14 degF per minute between 140 and 284 degF) but this depends on what
your prepreg supplier recommends.

The applied pressure depends on the panel size being pressed. With a vacuum,
lower pressures can be used. Some maximum quoted figures are:-
Panel size 12"x12" - 250 psi.  18" x 16" - 300 psi. As before it depends on
what your pre-preg supplier recommends.

If you undercure in the press I guess that means the Tg will be lower which
will lead to more movement. Don't forget we're dealing with a plastic
material which has a transition or softening point, usually about 130 - 140
degC for standard FR4.
Below the Tg the CTE in the X & Y direction is around 11 ppm/degC. Above the
Tg the CTE is ........ much higher (over 100 ppm/degC but I can't remember
figure.

Geoff Layhe