TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
"Sauer, Steven T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:19:39 -0500
Jack & All,
This discussion takes me back quite a few years to 1990 when the
MIL-STD-2000 Revision A was taking shape --> Mel & Jim may be able to add
some additional insight into these past discussions.  The use of compliant
pins was just beginning to be used in backplanes and motherboards in an
attempt to move away from wire wrap and soldering of connector pins (the use
of solder preforms and vapor phase soldering yielded the best outcome but
touch-up was still required).
The consensus of the DOD/Industry SOLD Project Participants was to permit
the use of compliant pins per MIL-STD-2166 and connectors per MIL-C-28859
inserted in PTHs of boards designed to MIL-STD-2219 and fabricated to
MIL-A-28870 without soldering.
I know of several avionics boxes (designed in the early 90's) that are
currently flying in US Navy F/A-18E/F aircraft utilizing the above
connectors and pins without any adverse effects.
One thing for the J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610 committees may be to look at these
connector, pins and board documents.
Just my $.02.

Steve Sauer
Mfg Engineer