TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Eric Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:04:56 -0000
I think it is right that we should have the choice of component technology,
ie. sheared edges, no plating or complete covering by a solderable surface.
Thus we have the choice to use a component which is lower cost or go to the
higher reliability type. The problem is deciding which to use at an early
stage in the design.
Too often, the Designer/Purchasing Department make an uninformed decision
based on cost and the Process Engineer/QA Department then end up arguing
about a fait accompli.
Design for Manufacture eh?
PS can anybody persuade Earl Moon to return to the fold?
Regards
Eric Dawson