TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
"Atkinson, Neil" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:16:25 +0100
Quite often these pots are set high (typically 400 degC) because they are
sometimes used to tin enamelled wire on coils etc.  The high temperature is
needed to burn the enamel off during the soldering process.

If you do any of this type of work on-site, it may explain the high
temperatures being used.

On the other hand it is probably just down to people not realising the
problems they are causing by raising the temperature to this level.

The only way to handle temperature control properly is to lock out the
controls to the operators.  You still need to educate them so they
understand why the temperature is fixed but if you don't lock the
temperature control out you will find it keeps creeping up...!

Neil