TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Virgil Lenton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:33:40 -0600
Hi

hmmmmmmmm, Diet Dew. This is a new one on me. What have I been missing
out on here?

Thanks for your response Doug.

I also have noticed that final CCA cleanliness level varies with
placement of the card in the batch washer.

I guess what I need to do at this point is determine what kind of
residue I am dealing with here. I understand that the rosin in the flux
is non-ionic. It is the activators that pose the danger and it is the
activators that show up as ionic residues. I'll run some tests to see if
the residues are ionic.

In parallel to this, Im am investigating some alternate cleaning
chemistries. We have been using our existing saponifier chemistries for
many years now. Maybe there is something out there that will do a better
job of cleaning under SM components.

We have no evidence of units failing after stress testing due to
cleanliness issues. However, we have seen that vibration testing does
dislodge some of the white residue from under SM components.

Regards,
Virgil

--
Virgil Lenton - Manufacturing Engineering
SED Systems - A Division of Calian

Web: www.sedsystems.ca     email: [log in to unmask]