TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:12:36 +0300
Virgil

A few hurried thoughts to be going on with:

How did you qualify your cleaning process?

A small amount of even ionic residues close to a few terminations may
average out over the whole board surface as being "in-spec", while being
dangerous where they are.

Your white residues may also be non-ionic, in which case the
contamination tester won't react to them, in any case.

MIL-P-28809 is archaic and dates from long before SMD became popular. It
consequently has no bearing on SMD assemblies. Many users specifiy
cleanliness levels of 1 or even 0.5 µg/cm2 eq. NaCl for SMD assemblies.

Have you tested the flux and saponifier for compatibility?

What are your washing parameters? Many conveyorised cleaners are
inadequate for saponification. Temperature can be very critical. How do
you rinse? With what?

Brian