TECHNET Archives

October 2002

Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:51:58 EDT
Rudy,
I'm resending this response to your recent TechNet post.  I got back a
confusing message saying the reply was "undeliverable."  Since I didn't see
any further comments on copper distribution (very surprising), I'm assuming
the reply never made it.  Apologies to TechNet if this is redundant.

That was an excellent description of copper distribution.  Thanks.  Plating
thickness distribution does not have to be so bad.  If you go to
www.smartcatshield.com you will find technical papers that can be downloaded
that aptly describe the problem and offer a solution.  One of the papers was
delivered to the IPC in April of 2001.  Another was published in The Board
Authority the same year.

Further to my earlier reply
, MoonMan, the design guru, has confirmed to me that design parameters indeed
will be positively affected if designers believe that board fabs can
satisfactorily plate what is called for in their designs.  Imagine the
implications of uniform plating thickness: etch uniformity on panel plated
substrates and huge benefits for pattern platers, including the possibility
of using thinner resists.  I'm also certain that resist strip suppliers will
breath easier if their customers don't have to strip resist out of the narrow
circuit trace openings of overplated copper.  It goes on and on.  Thanks
again for your post.