TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
"Jason W. Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:59:48 -0500
Daniel,

I am a former 5DX program development engineer. I can summarize the capabilities
somewhat.
The 5DX uses scintillator technolgy which means, in layman terms, that the tube
is in an always fixed location and the camera is in the bottom of the machine
rotating at 1000 rpm. The tube beam is angled so that it is aimed at the camera
and it also spins at 1000 rpm. You therefore get a trailing effect and the beam
is "conicallized", giving it a finite point of focus. The board is movable in
the X, Y, and Z axes, with very precise movement in the Z axis. One can then
move the board up and down and get the focal point in very precise locations in
the Z. In real time image capture, I could get the focal point at such a precise
level that I could capture good indicators of vacuolar porosity at pin-pad
areas. This was very good in pinpointing areas of concern while I was with
Sanmina-SCI. I also performed some process indication experiments that showed
where we were only getting solder to flow to about 40% up the vias at solder
wave.

In hardware terms, the 5DX has 4 major components; machine itself, PLR
(PaperLess Repair) station, Testwise SPC station, and the Test Development
Workstation. The 5DX itself does not capture any good data, meaning that it is
pass-fail until the first failure is caught. Once it has a failure, then the
data is put in a buffer cache until the board is finished. Then the data is
sent, via NetBUEI interface, to the PLR where the data is shown to the operator.
The operator then is required to visually inspect the area, via CAD data images,
to the area where defect was found and input a "failure" code (i.e. R for
repaired, A for Active, F for False). This data is then fed back to the TestWise
SPC station for retrieval by anyone who can access the network via HTML. The
TestWise platform is a very good piece of software. It can be set up to track
trends, specific component issues, and can be set up to alarm when PPM levels
reach certain dangerous areas.

By first-hand experience, I will tell you this; the 5DX was very instrumental in
inspecting our boards at Sanmina-SCI. We had a VERY, VERY good process and to
illustrate this, we placed somewhere in the area of 250,000 to 300,000 BGA
terminations and had 6 true failures!!!!!! Amazing, if you ask me. One thing to
remember about the 5DX is that there is an overlap between false calls and
escapes and it always better to have false calls than escapes. I had my
programming expertise tuned to 5 or 6 false calls per 3000-4000 terminations and
we were inspecting 100%.

I only wish we had one here. I really learned to love that machine. They are
expensive, though. Not to mention - heavy. Peter speaks of Dage and I talked to
one of their reps through a presentation and they have great software which
gives them their "3D" image, but it's not true 3D. I also know Gen-Rad has a 3D
Xray out, the GRX. But do not know anything about it. Agilent apparently is the
only one with true 3D laminography.

Contact me offline if you need anymore tips, specs, hints, or whatever.

Hope this helps some,

Jason Gregory
Production Supervisor
LaBarge Inc.
(918)459-2367

[log in to unmask] on 10/15/2002 06:56:59 PM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to