TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:51:20 -0400
I think the system you described is scary.
Increased humidity merely reduces the voltage of the ESD event to levels
that cannot be felt. But, we can only feel discharges of about 2500
volts or higher (depending on what part of the body experiences the
discharge).
I recommend a little text book by Van Nostrand Reinhold called ESD
Program Management: A Realistic Approach to Continuous Measurable
Improvement in Static Control by G. Theodore Dangelmayere. Second
eddtion Published in 1999. This text is avaliable from  the ESD
Association. http://www.esda.org/publications.html#books

That said the answer to your question is, it depends. Mostly, on the
susceptibility levels of the components that you are using. A table in
the referenced text suggests that Antistatic smocks are special controls
perhaps required to provide protection for unusual hazards. For
components of Class 0 or Class 1 or where hazards cannot be eliminated
because of process requirements.