TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:07:54 +0300
Steve

Check your Sn:Pb ratio now, you may have lost quite a bit of tin if you
have been over-drossing!

BTW, the old Hollis oil-in-wave was bloody marvellous for reducing
drossing by 90% :-) I used the old Lonco Fusecote 240 with W/S flux and
removed the "oil" (it wasn't an oil at all) and dross sludge from the
machine about once a week. Compared with the oil valve on so that you
could see a slight "measling" of the wave with oil microdroplets and the
oil valve closed, the dross formation was reduced by at least 100 g/day,
and the solder joints were more brilliant, to boot. The Fusecote washed
off with the flux (Lonco 3355-ST) but it could cause foaming problems if
there were an excess. Those were the days, my friend (that could make a
good line for a song :-) )

Brian