TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Gene Felder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:16:03 -0700
There is ElectroStatic Discharge and ElectroStatic Attraction.

The handbook to implement ANSI/ESD S20.20, TR20.20
in paragraph 5.3.6.1.1 Static Charge Control states:
"Static charge control has become a necessity in many production
environments. By controlling static charge it is possible to:.......
4. Protect against product contamination due to electrostatic
attraction and bonding of particulate to critical product surfaces.
5. Reduce airborne particle levels in some production environments."

And paragraph 5.3.6.1.3 Contamination Control
"Another application of air ionization is to improve contamination
control. High quality air filtration and laminar airflow are used in clean
rooms to lower airborne particle counts and reduce surface
contamination. Filtration efficiency is quite good and most problems
are caused by particles generated by personnel, equipment and
production processes. Unfortunately, these particle sources are
typically located in close proximity to the product.

Balanced air ionization can enhance the ability of the air filtration
system to remove particles from the clean room environment.
Ionization neutralizes charges on critical surfaces and reduces
the attraction of particles to these surfaces. Particles have a greater
tendency to remain in the laminar airflow and then be removed by the
air filtration system."

A number of manufacturers make ionizer blow off guns.

ESD Handbook TR 20.20 paragraph 5.3.6.5.2.4 Point-Of-Use Ionization
"There is sometimes a need to provide static control in a small defined
area or location. This may be done to provide static control within
production equipment, in mini-environments, or to facilitate particle
removal from part of a product. Ionizers used for this purpose may be
blow-off guns or nozzles that work with a supply of compressed air or
nitrogen. They may use either nuclear, soft x-ray or any of the
previously described types of corona ionization technology. It will be
important to choose a method of ionization and cleanliness of the gas
supply that is appropriate to the work area."

Gene Felder