TECHNET Archives

October 2002

Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:25:33 +0800
A nice, concise answer, Steve. I work in Aerospace, where Inspection costs
are a huge percentage of the overall costs. We have gradually managed to
eliminate some of the extra cost by improving certain processes, but not
that much. Nevertheless, where humans are involved, mistakes are made or
variances creep in because we're not robots (much as some employers would
like to think of us as such).

Some of the reasons for having someone else inspect work or set-ups or
whatever are:
1. Mistakes do happen and need to be detected as often and as early as
possible.
2. If the people making the mistakes could see or know about them, they
would either correct them themselves or not make them in the first place,
but they can't or don't and in the real world of fallible humans trying to
make infallable products, the more eyes on the ball the better. To
paraphrase what Steve said, human nature is such that it's always easier to
see someone else's mistakes than our own.
3. Having made a mistake, it is unfortunately a fact of human ego, vanity,
cowardice, dishonesty, whatever that we like to try and hide our mistakes,
especially if a large penalty is involved, like it affects the money in our
own pockets. Hide our mistakes and maybe they won't be noticed, or hide our
mistakes and maybe someone else will be blamed but not us. Not very nice,
but I've seen it so many times in companies where people are villified,
penalised and generally made to feel sh---y for making mistakes, rather
than involving them positively in ways to reduce the mistakes. So we
continue to need another pair of eyes to witness that things are done
properly.

I agree with Poh that in theory, viewed narrowly with naivity and with an
eye more on the $$$ and less on the people who make the $$$, all this
inspection is a waste of time in money. Why not make the processes perfect?
We're engineers and know why - nothing is infinitely and perfectly
repeatable. If you think it's stupid and time-wasting, then you're either
very inexperienced or not a very good student of the nature of things -
human or engineering particularly. If 5 out of 5 Companies have used this
method, there has to be a good reason for it, since no Company likes to
waste more money than necessary. Reflect on the reasons why something is
done instead of first condemning the stupidity of it all. Maybe, in
practical terms it's not so stupid after all, but is making the best of
things.

Here endeth the lesson.

Peter (no saint himself)

Steve Thomas <[log in to unmask]>    09/10/2002 01:37 AM
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to Steve Thomas