TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Steve Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:17:32 -0700
This kind of behavior only continues if you (not you, necessarily, but the management directly
responsible for the performance of the people performing the work) don't hold people accountable
for doing the work the way it's documented.  You write a procedure, train the people on the procedure,
get their signature on the training record, and then hold them accountable for performing the operation
per procedure.

If they don't they get a talking to, or a ding on their review, or a paltry increase when it comes time for
a raise if they're prone to poor performance. Termination is always an option too. I worked for
a company that went from very few proceduralized operations to documenting every move, and verifying every
move with a second operator. You'd be surprised how people get used to it as standard ops. after doing it
for a while.  This was in medical device mfg., too, so non-compliance was a precursor to a line stop.

People CAN follow procedures, and it CAN make for a very efficiently run operation, but you have to demand
compliance.  I've seen it work, and work very well.  Maybe if the management and tech. support staff
believes it can work, it will?  I just know it's far from impossible.  Whether or not it costs you more than
it saves you in a Class 1 or 2 operation, I don't know. In Class 3 it's mandatory, at least in med. products.