TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 03:36:58 -0500
Wee Mei,

Without being offensive, again, there is so much in this forum's archives on
the BGA subject. My book is based on all my years experience doing board
fabrication to keep bow and twist easily within IPC specified limits and, of
course, IPC clearly indicates .75$ as the primary requirement for SMT in
general. Exceeding that limit invites trouble as it does with the BGA substrate.

As Phil Zarrow, others, and I have said so many times BGA's are no big
friggin deal when processes are well managed and "good" components are
assembled on "good" boards within a "good" process The good process must
consist first of using the right solder paste in the right stensil printing
machine with the right stencil apertures (20% reduction in ball size as an
example), etc. The reflow profile must be right as well. Then, the device
types must be right as plastic, ceramic, flip chip, etc.

I know you know most of this stuff. Therefore I must ask what you are doing
we don't know about?

You must be up to something special,

Earl