TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:39:37 -0500
Folks,

This posting has technical merit and content but the underlying story is
fun, or not, depending if you are you or you are me. I don?t think the
latter is possible but use your imaginations. Getting right down to the
technical merit ? this concerns automotive technology based on something Sir
Werner brought up some time ago. He said some Ford models had under hood
temperatures often exceeding 130 degrees. That?s it about technical. Now
down to the story.

An interesting thing happened to me on the way to the bank this morning. Let
me say first that my morning started out pretty well here at the newly
renovated MoonMan Cave, Rancho and Social Club.

Werner starts it off and caught me by surprise ? just a little with his ILS
stuff. Being an old airplane driver, I could only think of instrument
landing system as ILS (approaching the outer marker inbound on the 260
degree radial of the Phoenix VOR stuff). Anyway I responded to his, as
usual, very terse questions while wondering if I really was competent to
write a book at all in light of all he has done.

I replied as best I could except for the near 45 degree stress vectors in
conjunction with the xyz axis stuff. Anyway, I know he already had the
answers in the myriad of articles and books he has authored but it was a fun
thing for me.

So I?m on my from my cave/resort to the next very dull Western town out here
on the Oregon/Idaho border that?s boundary is the Snake River. I pull up to
a red light knowing there is a car behind me. I?m stopped looking at
something inside my car and very confident the car behind me is not moving,
or so I thought.

All of a sudden I am attacked from behind. As the MoonMan usually defies the
law of impenetrability, I was shocked at the impact. I had been hit by the
car behind.

I pulled over and so does the attackers car. I get out with a pretty good
headache and so does the other driver. I demanded what the hell happened.
The lady driver responded saying my car often jumps into drive on its own. I
prepared a Werner like terse response, while looking at her car with a crack
in its windshield a big as the Grand Canyon. I do all the normal and
abnormal stuff the MoonMan is known for doing in these type situations.

I inspected damage and, but for my worsening headache, found it to be
minimal and not worth the time of Oregon?s finest. Then I asked the driver
how she could possibly drive a car in such condition. No comment was
forthcoming. I asked about the windshield. No comment was forthcoming but
her saying ?I need to get this car in the shop.? My response should not be
posted here but it was something along the lines of no shit.

I took down here plate number and she provided a driver?s license number.
However, when I asked where is your driver?s license, she responded I don?t
have one. Holy shit!

I almost came unglued but was feeling sorry for this person and her son with
her as they were on the way to court so he could explain some violation for
which he had been arrested. Now I?m crazy but MoonMan cool.

I told her I was going to call the police later just to have them make her
cease and desist driving the car or driving at all. Understand, there is no
excuse for her or her situation ? being on any road anywhere. Many folks,
especially out here, have to get around somehow or they die. It?s just too
damn far to the next water hole. I know, again, it?s no excuse as driving
the way and with what she did, is going to kill someone or her.

Anyway, her car has a technical problem and she, if the police take away her
driving privileges and car, though not likely, she will be off the road.
Also, she may not have to go to jail as in the case if I had called the
police at the scene of what could have been a major accident.

Getting back to the technical part of this little story, what makes an older
car jump into drive? Did we really ever determine what made Audis do the
same thing some years ago?

Do printed circuit boards and assemblies come into play here? And, taking it
a bit further in the MoonMan?s now totally demented mind, Is there a
potential ILS failure here or some other MLB or plated hole anomaly
responsible here?

I need a life and thought I?d found it out here away from most civilization
and crazy drivers. Wrong!

MoonMan