TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Tegehall Per-Erik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:04:09 +0200
Daan,

In a note to section 8.3.6 in I-STD-001C, it is written that "In comparing
the sensitivity between methods, the solvent used to extract the residue,
the method used to present the solvent to the assembly and the method of
detecting the residue should all be considered. " I interpret that as you
are allowed to and should do the correction. But if you use correction
values, the figures given in the MIL standard are only valid for the models
of cleanliness equipment that were used at that time. I guess Alpha
Ionograph 500M is a later model, which means that it should have a different
correction figure (probably higher since it likely has better cleaning
efficiency).

However, the use of equivalence factors has no scientific base. But on the
other hand, neither has the method for cleanliness measurement. It shouldn´t
be used as proof of the cleanliness of an assembly since it is no proof of
assembly reliability. It is a good tool for process control, i.e. to control
that the cleanliness of assemblies manufactured in certain line does not
change with time. In my opinion, its use should be limited to that.

Regards
Per-Erik