TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:54:14 -0400
The J-STD-001 does address your situation, depending on the class of the
product. For Class 3 OA fluxes with L1 activity levels must be cleaned.
It is possible that the paste you are using is more active than L,
perhaps M or even H. In this case, you are in dangerous territory. The
standard states that M and H fluxes are suitable only for tinning lead
and solid wire. We have seen M and H fluxes used in manufacturing lines.
I consider this a process defect. Others will disagree, because the
HDBK-001 says that Type M flux was added as an option for Class 3
products. I don't see it in the standard. If you choose that path there
are some rather strict cleaning qualification requirements.

Even so, we have seen many instances where manufacturers using M0 and M1
flux pastes thought they were cleaning adequately only to find out that
they were not.

Now lets point the standards at your customer. The J-STD-001 states that
the User is responsible to identify defect criteria that are unique to
the product. Coating is a process that might impose special acceptance
criteria on a Manufacturer (both board supplier and CM).

Perhaps, IPC-SM-840 also points back to your customer, though it might
come as a surprise to them. 3.6.1.1 Resistance to Solvent and Cleaning
Agents; requires the mask to survive only a few minutes exposure to low
temperatures of DI water and the types of solvents you are likely to be
using. Specifically, section 6.2 of the standard states, "For this
reason, the user is urged to utilize this specification as a basis to
construct a customized procurement document in conjunction with his
supplier to consider the inclusion of special requirements in the
procurement documents, especially in the following areas
(a) coating thickness
(d) solvents and fluxes
(e) printed board assembly and operational requirements
(f) conformal coating

All that said, did your customer know you were using a very aggressive
flux, and (attempting) water cleaning? It all leads back to J-STD-001.
If you are using non standard processes you are required to develop
acceptance criteria. If the user has non-standard requirements, they
need to develop acceptance criteria.

What to do. Perhaps merely opening vias would provide enough cleaning.
Perhaps opening the vias and printing paste so as to fill the hole would
work. Can they increase the via size? I am a firm believer in aspect
ratios less than 3.5.

Guy Ramsey
Senior Lab Technician/Instructor
American Competitiveness Institute