TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Dougal Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dougal Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:26:48 +0100
Hi Mike,
    To 'repair' your hasl'd board with ENIG will require the supplier to
firstly strip off the reflowed solder, which is not easy. The chemistry
involved in removing the intermetallic will also attack the underlying
copper (because the intermetallic is CuxSnY). The ENIG process also has an
etch stage in it to activate the copper surface prior to the catalyst stage,
so I would be wary of the copper thickness in those important via holes,
where it is most difficult to strip solder, and solutions become trapped. As
a further complication, some electroless nickel baths use lead as a
stabiliser, so any solder residues will screw the bath. The theory says it
is possible to do this rework, but the practise suggests otherwise.
Dougal Stewart

email:  [log in to unmask]
phone: +44 1896 822204
mob:    +44 7984 629667