TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Tom Waznis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:36:30 -0700
Pretty hard to overcure Polyimide with that high a Tg. Too long at
high temperatures can make the material more brittle.
Hope your using one with Tg of 240-260 (similar to the old 601, 601A
resin that is no longer available). Some of the new ones have
significantly lower Tg.

Since Polyimide resin systems now vary (no more 601A) from supplier to
supplier The supplier should be consulted. In general the heat rises
are similar to FR4s but the material is usually significantly thicker
than FR4 while it is flowing. Higher pressures than FR4 are typical
but not really needed for all builds; depends how much you are
actually filling.

Tg can be done anytime. DSC or TMA is ok; I prefer DSC.
At lest one formula requires two cure times / temperatures and time at
the higher temp. does NOT count for the first required time at the
lower temp.