TECHNET Archives

September 2002

Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 07:48:08 +0800
I echo David's "lowest bidder" comment. Some years ago on another planet,
we bought male and female connectors to the same BS spec for a job. Each
type was bought by a different purchasing officer - one older and more
experienced, the other younger and more keen to be seen to be getting the
best price for things.

From the experienced purchaser, who asked what the real requirements were
for the job, bought in "Rolls Royce" Hypertac connectors with round, gold
plated contacts, while the less experienced fellow bought in cheapo Souriau
connectors with square, "pressed tin" contacts of very dubious reliability.
Both met the BS spec, yet the performance of the two when mated was
non-existant - virtually no inter-contact area, wide tolerences on the
Souriau's and disimmilar metals were the obvious problems. We had to scrap
all the Souriau's and buy more Hypertac's instead.

So be careful when simply buying to spec. In the eyes of a spec, all parts
are equal, but some prove to be more equal than others!

Peter

"Crepeau, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>    19/09/2002 01:09 AM
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to "Crepeau,
Phil"