TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:16:40 -0400
Jim,

I echo my colleague's remarks.

In my former life, we identified parts for heat, moisture, and ESD
sensitivity on the parts lists, drawings, and manufacturing planning (shop
routing sheets). Where there was doubt, we always sided on the most
sensitive.

For example, with moisture and ESD sensitivity, we found that most
manufacturers did label their hardware but did not know if the hardware
would survive specific environments. When we implemented aqueous cleaning,
we discovered that specific resistors were damaged by the cleaning process,
while the supplier insisted that their hardware would survive the process.
Through materials and failure analysis, we discovered that the resistor not
only would be damaged with aqueous cleaning but also with vapor degreasing.
We could only clean these parts via Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and a hand brush
after soldering.

Another horror story had components that were "ESD Class 1" certified by the
vendor. We discovered that the components were actually "ESD Class 0" after
circuit boards started failing at test and in one instance at the customer.
The vendor, and our Engineering department, did not know until failure
analysis was performed and it was determined that these devices were
classified "Class 0" by our internal QA organization.

Caveat Emptor: Let the buyer beware.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Lee Whiteman
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
E-Mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x208
Fax: (610) 362-1290