TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:44:35 +0100
> I would suggest that 85/85 be used rather carefully.
>
> If you're testing low solids fluxes you may get a false "warm fuzzy."
>
> Many activators used in low solids no-clean evaporate at 85 C. From the SIR
> it looks like you're doing good. But in the real world, i.e. non-85
> operating conditions, your product may have problems. (See John Sohn's work
> published I believe at an IPC conference.)
>
> Also I would not recommend testing boards with plated through holes at
> 85/85. Lando et al (many years ago) showed that CAF is the dominant failure
> mechanism under these conditions especially if there is any bias.
>
> I am not a big fan of 85/85 although I had to do a lot of it over the years.
>

> I'd be interested in others opinions on the subject.
>
> Greg Munie

Techies,

May I just add my endorsement to Greg's comment. If you are testing no-clean
fluxes, it has been shown that 40DegC 93%RH is a more important condition.

Once flux residues are exposed to temperatures above around 40 to 50 C, they
volatise - hence the "warm fuzzy" Greg refers to. (BTW, this is not an
approved expression here in old Blighty!) :-)

--
Regards, Graham Naisbitt
Mobile: +44 (0)79 6858 2121

Concoat Limited - Engineering Electronics Reliability

Web: www.concoat.co.uk   AND  www.concoatsystems.com

NOTE: NEW ADDRESS :NOTE

Sales:

Millfield House, Fleet Road