TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:10:43 -0400
Chemical smell can be very operator dependent. For example, some operators
are very sensitive to terpenes while others (like myself) are not or have
become desensitized. The best guideline is to follow the OSHA guidelines on
chemical smell.

Drag out rate and chemical loss are based on the frequency of use, the
operating temperature, the type of chemistry, and the amount of exhaust. The
equipment's exhaust can increase the amount of chemical loss by an order of
magnitude, depending upon the chemistry and operating temperature. Suggest
running hardware through the system for a given period of time, and
measuring how much fluid you would have to add to fill the unit.

Your equipment and solvent supplier should have some data on drag out and
chemical loss, but such data is dependent upon how the equipment is
installed. For example, identical sets of cleaning equipment can have
different loss rates, depending upon the amount of operation, temperature,
exhaust.

Hope this helps.

Lee Whiteman
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
E-Mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x208
Fax: (610) 362-1290