TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:29:57 +0100
Interesting, thanks, I refuse to get into the Sn63 vs. Sn62 debate, but I
would just caution that when comparing the differences between alloys keep
in mind that the data for solder properties  is [usually a consensus number]
derived from  "lab perfect" specimens, commercial alloys may not have so
exacting alloy ratios, there will also be variation between suppliers for
the same notional alloy in other areas such as oxide content and so on. So
it could well be that the alloys you are looking at are "off eutectic" and
therefore effectively exploiting to a limited extent the antitombstoning
effect deliberately built in to formulated alloys such as our #100 and those
of other suppliers mentioned in other posts.

Regards

Mike Fenner

Applications Engineer, European Operations
Indium Corporation
 T: + 44 1908 580 400
M: + 44 7810 526 317
 F: + 44 1908 580 411