TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
"Tempea, Ioan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:06:48 -0400
Hi Technos,

badly need your wisdom on this. We have an automotive application, a simple
assembly (single sided reflow + wave soldering) that needs conformal
coating. We are on no-clean CP36 paste from Multicore and X33 no-clean flux
from the same company.

After having browsed last night through the archives, I still have a lot of
questions:

1. what reliability concerns should I have with automotive applications
2. any special coating material more suited for automotive
3. except for the dendritic growth, any other hazard
4. the Nortel analysis bulletins for both materials show the residues are
inert. should I worry about the flux residues or not? Can the assembly
process make them less inert?
5. if the flux residues are inert, what could screw up the ionic tests?
6. what cleanliness tests to do and when in the process
7. if fails the test, how to clean
8. how to spec the thickness of coating, how to check it?
9. what to expect from a good coating house
10. what is a good test to do for qualification of the sub-contractor. Since
it's the only one in town, how to make him do better?
11. except Concoat and Humiseal, any other major players in the fiels?

Thank you SIRs and any other contributor,
Ioan