TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
David Hannick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:50:04 +0100
Hi,

I need some help!

I am trying to develop a good test method or methods to evaluate some
conformal coatings offered to us by suppliers. I am aware of some IPC tests
for Hydrolytic stability, Moisture resistance, Fungus resistance etc. But
what I need to test is the coatings' resistance to the formic and acetic
deposits left behind by insects which get in contact with our products PCBs.
Corrosive insect deposits are our biggest problem so if we go to all the
trouble of coating our PCBs, it would be better if we use the most effective
coating. And if the coatings don't offer enough protection we may also look
at improved insect screens, encapsulation, product redesign etc.
Is anyone aware of such a test / tests. Questions I have in relation to the
test are: how long should a PCB be subjected to the test, how much formic /
acetic acid should be deposited on them, should the acid be dipped or
sprayed onto the PCBs, etc? I would also like to use this test to evaluate
the effect of leaving certain test pads, components and switch blades
uncoated if the PCBs are subjected to corrosive insect deposits.
I would be grateful for any help or opinions.

Best Regards,

David Hannick

Ei Electronics
Shannon,