TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 13:04:24 -0500
Victor,

Having a go at this interesting question, let me start with inspectors are
trained, or should be, to follow certain procedures including using IPC 610
and all therein. To do what you want may require certain other procedures,
if you really think you need to do this.

However, for trace and land widths or diameters and annylar ring
requirements, met in accordance with IPC 600, I rely on two things. One is a
highly qualified fabrication capability providing me reports on the
parameters you state and many other factors in accordance with my Master
Drawing Notes. From this type capablity a report is forthcoming including
x-section photomicrographs as well as measurements concerning your concerns.

Also, I require, again in accordance with my Master Drawing Notes, quality
conformance test circuits made up of various individual coupons, as
indicated in IPC2221, for making such determinations.

The individual coupons represent the most complex features of the board
design as hole diameters, pad sizes, trace widths and spacing, as well as
other features needed to determine such quality requirements on the Master
Drawing.

Really, you as the reliabilty person, can do anything you want to establish
concurrent communications with your board shop. You can use magnification,
optical comparators, x-sectioning, etc. but the best thing is to ensure you
have highly qualified board houses selected using a very well planned
evaluation using serious evaluation tools while starting with you master
drawign requirements and working from there as prevention is the key to not
having to do the inspections you discuss.

I hope this helps a bit more or, at least, invites more discussion,

Earl