TECHNET Archives

August 2002

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:45:29 -0500
Geez, don't waste your time and money!

go buy 100 CDs for $20
buy CD labels for $20
make a goofy label as a jpg
print the pictures onto the labels yourself in 5 minutes
find a coupla teenagers to crank out the CDs
and pay 'em $20 each.

Your total investment for 100 books is about $100

If you get rid of the first 100,
use the money to do it again.
and again
and again
(heck, my kids will do it for you,
they'll do ANYTHING for $20)

(and lower the price to $29 if you wanna triple your sales!)

good luck and best wishes,

Jack (the "think small" guy)

-=-=-

In a previous incarnation I did a feasibility study on CD duplication for
software distribution. Turnkey solutions aren't really cost effective until
you get into the >10K range. (These folks grooved on over stating the
obvious. A 25 page report with Power Point presentation wasn't considered
over kill to justify a <$3K capital equipment investment!)
You can get a 7 disk duplicator for under $2K,
http://www.summationtechnology.com/cdtracerpro.htm . This is an improvement
from the 4 disk system I eventually purchased for the same price. You can
get the disk for about .25 ea. figure about the same for pre printed
sleeves
(we used jewel cases, but then we sold the software for $20K a pop). Assume
a 1k min order for sleeves and disk'. Your total initial investment would
be
about $2.5K.
 As I recall a single operator could load and re-load the duplicator in
under five minutes, duplication took about the same amount of time as
(any
high schooler can run the duplicator) and 14 disk/hr. Lets say 90% of the
200 request are real or 180 real orders. That's about 13 hours or $260,
call
it $300 for labor. So we have $2.8K / 180 =$15.55 unit cost. Forget about
overhead, do it in your garage, on the kitchen table or whatever. I'll also
assume you have some kind of business lic. and corp. already set up for
your
consulting.
The consumer cost is still under $20 with S&H! This is a bargain for any
reference book, basically free. If the book is anything like the checklist
the industry could use it, call it your civic duty.